2017 Western Passage Tidal Energy Resource Characterization Measurements
These data are from tidal resource characterization measurements collected between April and July 2017 in Western Passage near Eastport, Maine, USA.
The dataset contains the following four sub-datasets, each of which is described in more detail in the README.pdf.
1. A bottom-mounted Teledyne RDI Workhorse 600 kHz acoustic Doppler current profiler (ADCP) was deployed at 44.92015 N, 66.98915 W in ~50 m of water from 3 April to 18 July (106 days). Data were recorded in 6-minute increments in the ENU (East, magnetic North, Up) coordinate system with bin-mapping enabled.
2. A bottom-mounted Nortek Signature 500 kHz ADCP was deployed at 44.92192 N, 66.98913 W in ~50 m of water from 4 April to 18 July (105 days). Data were sampled and recorded at 2 Hz and recorded in the ENU (East, magnetic North, Up) coordinate system.
3. Between those stations along a cross-channel transect, a Stable Tidal Turbulence Mooring (STTM) positioned ~10 m above the seabed was deployed for one week during a spring tide. The STTM was outfitted with two Nortek Vector acoustic Doppler velocimeters equipped with inertial motion units (ADVs), a bottom-tracking downward-looking Teledyne RDI Workhorse 600 kHz ADCP to provide motion-corrected flow and turbulence characteristics at high temporal resolution, and an upward-looking Teledyne RDI Sentinel V20 ADCP. The STTM was deployed at 44.92098 N, 66.98922 W from 24-31 May.
4. A vessel-mounted Teledyne RDI Workhorse 300 kHz ADCP collected current data along three transects over two days, 4-5 April.
The data processing used DOLfYN version 0.11.2. All hdf5 files (i.e., files ending in `.h5`) contained here can be opened using that version of DOLfYN (e.g., `dat = dolfyn.load('')`).
All distances are in meters (e.g., depth, range, MLLW, hab, eta, z_), and all velocities in m/s. See the DOLfYN documentation https://lkilcher.github.io/dolfyn/), and/or the Nortek and Teledyne RDI documentation for additional details.
Additional details on the dataset can be found in the README.pdf, including:
- Format details of each data file.
- How to regenerate the data-processing (using the files in the `wp2017_processing.zip` archive).
This is the version DOLfYN that was used by the scripts in WP2017_processing.zip
DOE Project Name: Model Validation and Site Characterization for Early Deployment MHK Sites and Establishment of Wave Classification Scheme DOE Project Number: FY17 AOP 2141401 DOE Project Lead: Joel Cline